USFS Trail KMZs

Notifications
Clear all

USFS Trail KMZs

Regarding that mystery trail east of Battle Creek shelter...I have followed that trail for about 2/3 mile from Elk Lake Creek.  I will post some photos soon.  I want to go back this summer and pick up where I left off.  It's a ten-mile hike in and out to Battle Creek shelter, so that kind of limits the time available for trail searching.  But the trail is there, in good shape in some places.

Admin

Doug:

If the map is to be believed, that trail appears to go all the way to a spur road - if I'm reading the map correctly, it is the 4696 road - and according to the map it is in good shape.  Would be interesting to drive up there and see if you could find the east end of the trail.  Would be a LONG drive, but it would cut a LOT of hiking time.

I'd love to see photos.

Hey Rob,

I'd love to go out and travel that Battle Creek Shelter trail that Doug Firman explored. Been on my list forever.

This set of trails was posted to the mapping forum on Portland Hikers. It's really a hit and miss affair. You noted the problems in the Clack, in the Gorge several significant trails are missing like Herman Creek. I don't think it is worth the trouble as all the old abandoned trails are well documented in the map collection. The stuff in Dee Flat is strange.

The Rapidan is still intact for the most part, I traveled it in 2010 (and posted the report here, I believe), see a map and photos at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/21209133@N06/sets/72157624910785425/

Your collection of GPS tracks for the trail guide is, as far as I'm concerned, the definitive resource for official and other trails in the Clackamas District.

--Paul

Admin

Paul:

I'm always looking for new/different info on old trails.  I guess it is a bit of an addiction.  nerd_smiley_gif

I'm pretty sure the La Dee Flats "trails" are the ORV trails.  They all looked like old spur roads, which is what they used for the off roaders I believe.

As far as Rapidan goes, I remember your report, and I remember seeing a sign along road 46 for it.  I was just surprised that the FS would have it on their list.  Interesting what they have and don't have.

I am saddened that they have apparently abandoned Burnt Granite (again).

Maybe we can plan an outing out to the Battle Creek shelter trail (whatever it was called) later this summer.  Was it really an extension of the Motherlode trail?

Page 2 / 2