What trail am I on?

Notifications
Clear all

What trail am I on?

Admin

Bryon Boyce said

The Double Peaks Trail is shown inaccurately on many maps. It does not go up the east face, which would require serious climbing iron. Instead the route passes to the north of the peak and finally makes its way steeply up the NW side.

Just a plug for the maps here - the double peaks trail map shows the actual route to the top.  Many of the current maps don't show a trail, but the USGS map that does show it is reasonably accurate - but the overlay we have is the actual GPS track of the trail to the top.  That trail gets STEEP in places, but is mostly well graded.

Okay, nobody took a guess. It's a viewpoint of Fish Creek from just off the road at the "trailhead".

I'll offer another one:

This one should be much easier.

Admin

Was that photo of Fish Creek taken at the "trailhead" or up the road a ways?  I've hiked that section several times, and I think I might have a photo of the same place (from a slightly different angle), but it is hard to tell. 

Your new photo kind of looks like Round Lake.

Right where you park for Fish Creek is a short user trail (20 feet maybe) that leads to that viewpoint. I'm planning to go back in early fall to take better photos of the spot.

As for the current photo, it's not Round Lake. Go west / northwest maybe 10 miles.

I've never been to Round Lake. Is it nice? What's the drive like? Can I do it in a Nissan Sentra?

Admin

Matt Reeder said
Right where you park for Fish Creek is a short user trail (20 feet maybe) that leads to that viewpoint. I'm planning to go back in early fall to take better photos of the spot.

As for the current photo, it's not Round Lake. Go west / northwest maybe 10 miles.

I've never been to Round Lake. Is it nice? What's the drive like? Can I do it in a Nissan Sentra?

Hmm, I've never seen that user trail, but then I was never looking for a trail over there.

Round Lake is nice - I've never camped there, but there are several nice campsites.  The trip over isn't terribly rough, but it is a LONG trip.  The road used to go through from 63 (I think), but it washed out at some point in the past, so you have to go the long way around.  The lake is almost to the washed out section.

Page 185 / 193