Notifications
Clear all

Reopening

Admin

Theobob said
( @Rob:   Maybe this belongs in trip reports...  Please move and re-title it if appropriate)

I decided to go home via 42. I filled my water bottles at the 4670 spring before I left God's Country for the evening. The trip up 42 was as smooth and uphill as ever. From 4670 to Oregon City took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes, about a half hour longer than it would have if 224 was open. Not bad. 

All and all it was a great day. They have opened up a "backdoor" to a part of heaven.

Ted

I think this is in the perfect spot, as it relates to reopening. Thank you for posting the detailed info!

One question - I was not aware of a spring on 4670 - where is that?

p.s.   Hey Rob: earlier you said: "...keeping 46 closed past Ripplebrook closes a HUGE number of trails, including all of BOTW... "   

Agreed, but I bet one can now get into the BOTW area by being a little crafty and going over Graham Pass, right? Should be pretty quiet up there this year by my reckoning. 

I guess it depends on where they closed 63 - 6340 is the main access to BOTW - Since the fire didn't get into that area it would make sense that it should be accessible, but a lot of what has been done post fire doesn't make sense, so it will be interesting to see what is out there.

This would be a similar access path when 63 was closed many years back due to a slide on 63.  It is a rather long detour - This makes it even longer since you have to come around Mt Hood.  I would expect there to be very few people out in that area this year.

According to a posting on Facebook, the FS is updating their online maps to show where barricades are, but like everything, they are taking forever to get it done.  Hopefully it will be done sooner than later so we can figure out where we can get to, even if it means longer drives.

Rob Williams said

One question - I was not aware of a spring on 4670 - where is that?

There's a spring near the junction of 4670 and 46.  There's a pipe coming out of the bank on the south side of 4670 that's handy for filling up bottles.  Maybe that's the one.

Rd-4670-spring.jpg

Yep, that's the one. I squared up the PVC pipe so it was flowing once again (super minor maintenance). A  few years ago I went uphill from the road to see where the water comes from, and it all comes up from a marshy area within 150 ft or so from the road. It seems to dry out after that.  The map is accurate. Seems like a decent source in as much as the water spends very little time above ground before it gets to the road. IMO probably one of the better jug filling spots for quite a ways. 

Being able to get over Graham Pass down to 63 might open up a lot of nice places. The link to the map I posted runs true to the places that I saw the roads (4220, 46, 4691, 57) were closed at 

Last fall (Nov?)  I was at  the bottom of 4613 where it meets 4610. There is a barrier there where 4613 crosses the North Fork of the Clackamas. The map also shows this closure. I saw the signs of heavy equipment (cat tracks) in the mud edges going east on 4610. It would not surprise me if the nasty part of 4610 just west of Lookout Springs has been improved. It was pretty badly rutted last July...  I recall Rob mentioning that the High Rock end of Abbot had been worked on, and seeing the pictures of the stacked wood way in the background past the old Twin Springs CG sign.   It wouldn't surprise me at all if they approached Tumala from the west side. They were busy with equipment at LaDee anyways, right?

Admin

Theobob said
Yep, that's the one. I squared up the PVC pipe so it was flowing once again (super minor maintenance). A  few years ago I went uphill from the road to see where the water comes from, and it all comes up from a marshy area within 150 ft or so from the road. It seems to dry out after that.  The map is accurate. Seems like a decent source in as much as the water spends very little time above ground before it gets to the road. IMO probably one of the better jug filling spots for quite a ways. 

Being able to get over Graham Pass down to 63 might open up a lot of nice places. The link to the map I posted runs true to the places that I saw the roads (4220, 46, 4691, 57) were closed at 

Last fall (Nov?)  I was at  the bottom of 4613 where it meets 4610. There is a barrier there where 4613 crosses the North Fork of the Clackamas. The map also shows this closure. I saw the signs of heavy equipment (cat tracks) in the mud edges going east on 4610. It would not surprise me if the nasty part of 4610 just west of Lookout Springs has been improved. It was pretty badly rutted last July...  I recall Rob mentioning that the High Rock end of Abbot had been worked on, and seeing the pictures of the stacked wood way in the background past the old Twin Springs CG sign.   It wouldn't surprise me at all if they approached Tumala from the west side. They were busy with equipment at LaDee anyways, right?  

They ran a big cat all the way down 4610, from Promontory to High Rock.  It was intended to be a secondary fire break if needed since they don't do anything for fires in Wilderness areas and 4610 is technically not a wilderness (even though it has wilderness on both sides of it much of its distance).  I believe they ran the cat down the road, and cut some trees on the sides of the road.  They also said they repaired the big slide section which has been closed for years.  I honestly don't understand why it is still closed - it is WAY out of the burn area except for the very beginning off Promontory.  If they are going to get La Dee Flats opened up for the ORVs there is no reason the whole 4610 can't open, IMO.

Are you thinking that on the map you linked that all the red circles with the dash in them are all barricades?  That would seem to look correct based on your explorations.

Yes, these red circles with the dash in them are barricades. The map legend calls them "Road Closure Points". They come in two varieties, locked gates and concrete blocks. My guess is that the ones with the blocks have no current  work being done behind them. I think 4691 to Fish Lake was one of these...

The map lines up with this newest closure notice dated May 25, 2021

I hope the one on 63 is below the Granite Peaks road intersection  The map looks like it. The notice makes no mention at all of this closure...

Page 5 / 7