Notifications
Clear all

Reopening

Topic starter
Eminent Member

They would like to have 224 opened up by fall. We pushed back on the falling tree issue, too. Most trees near the highway have been addressed. 

I asked about Hillockburn - all they said was that it is being actively worked.

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Ughh... I just saw an update from ODOT saying 224 will be closed through the fall.

Admin

PStrobel said
Ughh... I just saw an update from ODOT saying 224 will be closed through the fall.  

That is just ludicrous.  So 224 will be closed for over a year.  That is just complete insanity.

( @Rob:   Maybe this belongs in trip reports...  Please move and re-title it if appropriate)

I have been lurking this forum for more than a few years now, and spend quite a bit of time in the upper Clackamas basin. I have finally decided to give a little back to the community. I couldn't just lurk forever, right? 

Here's some good news: I drove on NF-46 yesterday afternoon for the first time since last Labor day.

Short TLDR; version: NF-46 is accessible from 42 and is open from 1.5 miles below Austin HS up to NF-4690 (Olallie Lake turnoff). 

Here's how it happened.

Last Thursday, they opened 57 to Timothy Lake and below the dam. I made it in to Harriet Lake Thursday and spent the night. There was a gate next to the day use area that was closed and marked "No entry etc" that closed off Pipeline Road to the dam and below. The camp host said it was okay to walk down the road to fish... (BTW the fishing was great Thursday night and Friday AM).

A PGE employee I talked with at the gate at Harriet Friday morning. I hadn't gone down 57 below the turnoff to Harriet, but did notice that the road was open and was curious. He said that some of the 57 spurs (?5720 / ?5730) were open, but 57 was closed down the hill before you get to 46.  He also mentioned that the fire had crossed Pipeline Rd and went up the hill burning some of the Cripple Creek Trail area, and had made it up the hill to the Mt. Mitchell trailhead.

At 1PM (with a a some fat trout in the cooler), I headed back up the hill to see if I could make it into Olallie Lake (I usually try to get into Olallie before Memorial Day). On Thursday afternoon, I had noticed that 42 was open going down from the Timothy Lake cutoff. 

I went down 42, and took the appropriate turns (4230/4220) to get to Olallie. Near the Sisi Butte Lookout road there was some snow still left on the sides of the road. I made it as far as the "Green Gate" (5 miles to Olallie Lake) where Skyline road joins 4690. The gate was closed, with the "Do Not Enter Or Else" type  signs posted and big boulders moved to the right and left of the gate.  Hmmm...  but 4690 was not blocked...   

Well...    I went down the 4690 road, noting that much of the brush and small trees near the road had been removed. There were small piles of 4-5 ft long apx. 10 inch diameter logs (?firewood?) similar to that which I had seen up on 42. I also noted that the road had perhaps been graded. There were not nearly as many potholes as I remember last year. Partway down 4690 I saw large cement barriers that blocked the 4691 road to Fish Lake (the powerline shortcut). They we marked with similar "do not enter due to fire" warnings.

Much to my surprise I made it down to 46! There were barriers that blocked entry uphill towards 6350 and Detroit, but the road downstream was open! So, I went downstream. Thinking "Lets see how far downstream I can go... Am I even allowed to be here? I hope I don't get locked in LOL"

A few miles down the road I could see some burnt areas across the valley and up on the ridges (Collawash Mountain?), and in a very few spots 100 yards or so from the road. 

I went down 46 to NF-4670 and crossed the Clackamas river bridge. Apparently this area was now accessible too. (GREAT news! It looks like the Rho Ridge area is accessible from the north.)

Back to 46 I went to see how far down I could go. I passed 42 and kept on going.... As I passed Austin HS I saw one car and a tent, the first people I had seen in the valley, and it was the fewest people  I have seen camped there in many years. 

Eventually 46 came to a locked gate about a mile and a half below Austin HS, so I stopped to reflect on the wonder of it all. The river and canyon between 4690 and here was still unburnt and as beautiful as ever. Even moreover, there weren't a lot of folks camped in the usual spots next to the road...

As I reflected a couple drove in. We chatted a bit, and they mentioned that they had attempted to get up to Mt Lowe via 4670 but were stopped by snow before they could get to Granite Peaks road (6310). By the sound of it, they had made it past Tarzan Springs to the usual last snow blockage at Lowe Creek canyon. Very nice to hear...

I decided to go home via 42. I filled my water bottles at the 4670 spring before I left God's Country for the evening. The trip up 42 was as smooth and uphill as ever. From 4670 to Oregon City took me about 2 hours and 15 minutes, about a half hour longer than it would have if 224 was open. Not bad. 

All and all it was a great day. They have opened up a "backdoor" to a part of heaven.

Ted

p.s.   Hey Rob: earlier you said: "...keeping 46 closed past Ripplebrook closes a HUGE number of trails, including all of BOTW... "   

Agreed, but I bet one can now get into the BOTW area by being a little crafty and going over Graham Pass, right? Should be pretty quiet up there this year by my reckoning. 

Map showing open/closed areas implying BOTW open

Gate at Harriet

Photo of gated 46 looking downstream at closure 1.5 miles below Austin HS

This is great news!  Thanks for posting this.  Lots of good info.

That last spot of snow on 4670 sometimes doesn't melt out until late Jun or early Jul.  Maybe this year it will be a little sooner than that.

Page 4 / 7