What trail am I on?

Notifications
Clear all

What trail am I on?

Donovan said
Looks like Old Bissell Trail on the side of Old Baldy to me.

D Too

You are correct! I followed pablo's report since Old Baldy is now viewless to a nice open viewpoint pretty close to the summit. I may or may not write a trip report about the recent adventure I had on the Bissell and White Iris Traill out there sometime. 

Topic starter

cleared-trail-2.jpgDylan said

Donald Presley said
Would this trail be in a wilderness area?

I believe it parallels one for a short while. 

Just some info: the Bissell, the west end of the Old Baldy and the north half of the White Iris trails are in the new Eagle Creek Addition to the Salmon-Huckleberry Wilderness. I know it may take the FS some time to figure out the new wilderness boundaries on the ground, let alone update our most current 2002 map of the Clackamas River district. In the mean time, we have on this website the new wilderness areas and additions to older wilderness areas in the map section. I have drawn the new wilderness areas on my current district map so that I can have an idea where the boundaries are out on the trail. If your are clearing trail it is a good idea to know where you can use a chainsaw or a crosscut saw in cutting out logs.

Don

Topic starter

I should have mentioned that the trails marked in orange on the map were trails that were cutout in 2011, the last time I was out on those trails.

Don

Interesting, as perhaps the new wilderness addition could explain the decommissioning of the upper reaches of 4614 at the new wilderness boundary. That'd also explain why I saw a wilderness boundary sign at the Bissell TH last year, now removed from what I assume is one of the increasingly evil illegal dirtbike riders on the trail. 

Topic starter

That bottom section of the Bissell trail between the two roads was an ATV route back in 2011, that's why I left the blow down above the 4614, but cleared it the rest of the way to Old Baldy. We have the same ATV problem up at Huxley Lake in the Roaring River wilderness.

Page 42 / 46